Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Twelve minutes

I have twelve minutes to post before it's time to check my blood sugar again. Yay.

My doctor's appointment on Monday was kind of disappointing. I had already been scheduled to see one of the other doctors, which is a routine thing at 28 weeks when you're seeing the midwife. The doctor I saw, however, was not the one that I will be seeing for the remainder of the pregnancy. She was nice, but I'm glad she's not mine. She talked briefly about the diabetes thing. I'll be seeing the doctor more frequently now, since I'm considered high risk. I'll start doing weekly non-stress tests (NST) at 32 weeks, I think. I'll have an ultrasound again at 36 weeks to check the size of the baby again. There will be another ultrasound at 38 1/2 weeks, if I make it that far. She said they definitely wouldn't let me go past my due date and would start considering induction around 38 weeks. If, however, any ultrasound reveals that he may weigh ten or more pounds, they'll make me have a c-section. Not news I wanted to hear. I can't imagine having a c-section to recover from while dealing with a newborn and a 2 year-old. Hopefully, it won't come down to that.

The gestational diabetes management class yesterday was very helpful. I met with a dietitian to create a diet for my needs. We had an actual class about what diabetes is, how to control it and how to eat. The meal planning section was especially helpful. I'm feeling a lot more in control of that aspect now, thankfully. I'm testing four times a day. So far my numbers have been good, except for in the morning. I'm going to experiment with a few things in the next few days and see if I can't get that to level out. If not, I'm guessing they'll put me on medicine to control my insulin overnight. We'll see. I go back next Friday to meet with a nurse there again and review how things are going. My next doctor's appointment is the Monday after that.

That's the update:) Other than that, I'm feeling pretty good. I officially began the third trimester on Monday. When did that happen?! In other news, I'm stripping my cloth diapers for the first time today. Hope it goes well! I'm planning to travel with them this weekend, so we'll get to test out how cloth does on the road. More on that next week!

3 comments:

  1. Have a great trip, hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the third trimester! You were totally right about the babe, by the way... I was holding her probably at the moment you typed that comment! :)

    ReplyDelete