Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Therapeutic writing..

Can you tell the summer has been busy?  Our teen summer conference trip has come and gone, and Kraig is gearing up for senior high church camp next week.  The summer is cruisin' past at a speed that deserves a ticket.  A few highlights, though:

The conference trip went well.  Having my mom with me was a life-saver.  It allowed me to be there and actually participate with the teens, rather than just be available when Jack's behavior allowed.   For the most part, he did very well.  He slept decently and ate well.  He came home with bronchitis, for whatever reason, but all-in-all, it was great.  As far as the conference went, it was an amazing week.  Our students were definitely impacted (as were we).  I enjoyed the trip much more than last year, when I travelled at 34 or 35 weeks pregnant, contracting the whole time.  I'm very grateful that I was able to go.  You never have a better opportunity to connect with your students than in weeks like that. 

While we were gone, Kate stayed with Kraig's parents and did very well.  She was a busy little bee while she was gone and barely had time to miss us.  I'm very glad that she is an independent little girl who can tolerate a week away from Mom and Dad.  We missed her terribly, but she had a great time!

In the mean time, we've been waiting on a pediatric cardiologist appointment for Jackson.  The doctor discovered a new murmur at his most recent well-baby visit and sent us for a consult.  There are no pediatric cardiologist that participate with our plan, however, so we're all tied up in insurance red tape.  The paperwork has been submitted for over six weeks, yet they still have done nothing with it.  Today was supposed to be his appointment, but they're not done reviewing yet.  I've been on the phone with the insurance company and both doctor's offices numerous times, only to realize that they've been lying to me.  They've told me and both doctor's offices different stories about why it's taking so long.  In the past two days, they've had the request re-faxed three times.  Sounds like they're realllllly on top of things over there.  I tried to speak with someone who actually handles authorizations, but, of course, they don't communicate directly to customers.  Finally, I was told that it was going to have to be transferred to another authorization department and it would be another 10-14 days.  Today's appointment was rescheduled for next Wednesday, so we're praying they'll get it done before then.  This Momma isn't ready to wait any longer.  I broke down on the phone with the cardiologist's office.  I've tried to be patient, but I'm ready for an answer.  The insurance phone-answerer (that can be the only thing that they're semi-good for, since you can't speak directly to anyone who actually does any real work) asked if I wanted to file a complaint.  I told her (not so nicely), "I'm sure I will, but let's see how the next 10-14 days go!"  If it gets any worse, I'll be doing more than just filing a complaint with them.  This is unacceptable when it comes to a patient's health--and that goes for any patient, not just my kid!

So now we're waiting again and praying for peace in the meantime.  Taking Kate for a sick appointment today (she has a nasty cold) and hoping the doctor can give me some reassurance. 

Two weeks til Jack's birthday!!!  How is this possible?!