Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Can Hear Your Heartbeat...

(Now I have the Partridge Family stuck in my head!)

I finally got to meet my midwife yesterday and she was great. In my initial consultation at the doctor's office, the nurse was convinced they would not let me even attempt a vaginal delivery because of a surgery that I had not long after Kate was born. The midwife, however, did not see this as a problem and I am so happy. If I have to have a C-section because of an emergency or something, that's one thing. But to not even be able to have the option was very upsetting to me. Anyway, the appointment went great. It was my first, so they had to do a Pap smear and exam. No biggie. But I also got to hear baby's heart beat. It sounded amazing! Strong and steady at 148 beats per minute. Old wives' tales say anything above 140 is a girl and anything below is a boy, but we'll see. The midwife, Karen, said that according to the Chinese predictor charts, it's a boy. Someone will be right, I'm sure:)

It was great to finally hear the baby, but I started feeling some signs of life in there on Friday, February 4th. I was only 12w 4d, but I'm still feeling it now. There's definitely a baby in there (as if the expanding waistline wasn't evidence). She wanted me back in four weeks for a checkup and ultrasound, however she's out of town on March 7th. So, as I hoped, we got to push the ultrasound to March 14th, my birthday!! With Kate, we had her ultrasound on Friday, March 13th, so it's fun that the dates are so close AND so close to my birthday. I can't think of anything more fun to do for my birthday, either. Our friend Sara took the day off so she can keep Kate during the appointment. She even suggested Kraig and I do breakfast or lunch that day while she has Kate. How sweet! I'm very thankful to have her as a friend.

Yesterday was the 13 completed weeks mark. Welcome, second trimester!! It feels like time is flying by. In less than 5 weeks, we'll know whether Kate will have a brother or a sister. I can't wait! Oh, the picture included here is a belly shot from yesterday. I'm going to be huge again!

How I'm feeling...great!! Minus the stuffy nose leftover from last week's cold, I feel great. Karen gave me a prescription for a nasal spray and a muscle relaxer for my restless leg syndrome, so good sleep is finally headed my way. I'm definitely in my maternity clothes now. I even went shopping for a few new things this weekend and found some things that I love. I love being pregnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment